Frequently Asked Questions
[Effective May 26, 2017]
_ _ _ _ _
Our website ads and commercials are our way of publicly thanking you for your support of community environmental education for all ages. Look at these placements as similar to traditional island dinner-dance and event booklet ads. The difference is that instead of being displayed for one night or event, your brand is shown off year-round. Our island nature content is circulated through various social media sites several times a week leading viewers back to our website … and your ad.
~ ♦ ~
♦ What is the best content for my ad or commercial?
Your existing display ads and commercials used elsewhere can be incorporated as your CCVI ad. You may want to keep in mind that our website specializes in education and awareness for all ages about the Virgin Islands massively diverse Eco-system. Your support contributes to these educational efforts as well as research. Short congratulations, messages of encouragement and best wishes or Eco-quotes work well as soft-sell branding opportunities. Do what you feel is best for your brand without violating our Ad Content Terms of Service.
~ ♦ ~
♦ What if my business or service is not directly tied to the environment? Can I still promote my brand?
Simply put, the answer is “Yes”. Our audience is made up of all demographics of Virgin Islands residents who have needs for all kinds of consumer products, services and information.
~ ♦ ~
♦ How is my donation used?
Camp Umoja is a center of excellence for environmental learning and a recipient of the EPA Environmental Quality Award for Education. The camp’s Environmental Heritage Researcher and Promoter, Karl Callwood, is also a 2017 EPA Region 2 Environmental Champion Award recipient. Our environmental exposure programs for youth are many and adapt as quickly as our changing environment.
We try to put as much of your donation as possible directly into activities that positively expose our youth to our environmental heritage.
• Between 4-6% goes to banking costs and transaction fees;
• 15% goes to the Virgin Islands Conservation Society as our 501c3 facilitator to assist with VICS’ Territory-wide projects;
• 35% supports Camp Umoja infrastructure;
• 45% (+/-1%) supports environmental heritage research, citizen scientist activities, Eco-education and documentary programming.
~ ♦ ~
Your check is made to our facilitator, the Virgin Islands Conservation Society (VICS), a 501c3 non-profit, the oldest environmental organization in the Virgin Islands and a partner with the National Wildlife Federation. Your donation may qualify for federal tax deductions. Please talk to your professional tax consultant to be certain of your tax options and status.
~ ♦ ~
♦ How will donating and/or advertising benefit my business?
Donating to CCVI shows the community that you are positively involved and engaged in our future. By branding your name or product to our activities, your customers can feel comfortable knowing they are shopping with a business that cares.
• We have evolved the Virgin Islands custom of annual fundraiser dinner-dance booklets to the digital level. Now, instead of attendees seeing your donation just one night of the year, they can see 365 days of you actively helping out.
• Because we have many on-going activity platforms and field research projects we can post to the public several times a week, dramatically increasing your exposure.
~ ♦ ~
♦ What is the best ad size for my business?
Think of our display ads and commercials as our public way of saying ‘Thank You’ and showing the community what an awesome civic member you are. We size our ads to be fair to those who can donate more while still giving generous viewership opportunities to businesses and individuals with smaller budgets.
It may be easier to make a decision by thinking in terms of what you can afford to donate to the cause of youth environmental heritage research and promotion.
~ ♦ ~
♦ How do I produce an ad for your site if I am not computer savvy? Do I have to turn in a script, Email an image, send a USB drive?
Don’t worry! Your Fundraising Associate has your back.
We know that keeping up with all the rapid modern digital changes can be daunting, so we’ve tried to simplify the ad process to use what you already have or to allow you to submit your own unique content.
• We can accept all standard image formats via Email. For video commercials we can download all formats from your online video platform (such as YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, and even Facebook) or send you a link to upload directly to our servers.
• You can also send a script directing our site to read your on-line ad from another location, such as your server or website, so long as it is not linked to an advertising server such as GoogleAds, on-line newspapers, or other similar type ad placement that uses pay-per-click/view. We cannot accept those forms of ads.
• Your Fundraising Associate can also recommend professional advertising agencies and graphic design studios that can work with you to create a dynamic environmental message.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can viewers click on my ad and go to my company website?
Yes. We can attach a link to your display ad (or send a us a script with and embedded link) that will send any viewer who clicks on the ad to your website or service. We reserve the right to notify viewers that they are being taken outside of our website and to another server. We require that you do not link your ad to sites or services prohibited under our Ad Content Terms of Service.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can you create my ad or commercial for me?
Yes, we can … time permitting. We can create a simple environmentally-oriented display ad for you using our own images taken during wildlife research activities. Think of these ads as similar to the generic ones a printer creates for you in a dinner-dance book. We give you easy environmental branding, with logo, a message and your contact information.
• We can also produce simple video commercials for you using our own wildlife video footage and/or youth talent. Again, these are very simple branding ads, and nothing complex and polished like you would receive from a professional advertising agency or graphic design company.
• When asking us to create an ad for you, please consider that most of our time is spent outdoors and working with youth. This slows our ability to produce ads right away and you can expect at least a two to four week ‘creative service’ delay for ad placement.
~ ♦ ~
♦ I understand your time constraints. Can I use your photos and images to create the ad or commercial myself?
Yes! One of the perks of being an annual donor is complete commercial access to our growing lineup of wildlife imagery and footage.
• We are steadily creating our on-line photo and video library in the Fish and Wildlife section and will open the pages to viewing in summer 2017. Donors will have full access to use our work for promotional purposes during the term of the contract.
• Until the library is open, simply contact us regarding what type of image you’d like and we’ll see if we have it on our Desktop, or perhaps we can easily go out and capture a fresh image for you. We use any excuse to get outdoors! 🙂
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can I change my ad content during the contract?
Yes, but we ask that you do so no more than once a month if you are sending us an image file that we must manually change ourselves as we do not have administrative staff to perform full time ad management. We also require two weeks notice for each ad change done in this manner.
Send a link and change your own ad anytime you like and as often as you wish.
If you send us a link to your served ad, your ad on our site will automatically change as frequently as you change your ad on your own server.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can I purchase an ad for just one month?
Because of the administration and management costs associated with short-term ad buys, we only allow short-term ad purchases for promoting special events and activities. Short-term placements are for 60 days only. This category is specifically for things like Concerts, Dances, Fashion Shows, Social Activities, Fund Raisers, etc.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can I send you a GoogleAd or similar?
We service a large number of youth viewers and individuals who visit solely for environmental education and entertainment. As such we have elected not to utilize data collection or individual tracking services on our website. Pay-per-Click/View ads gather and collection information beyond our control and thus we do not permit them.
We apologize for any inconvenience, but must place the privacy of our visitors first.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Are any types of advertising prohibited?
Yes, we prohibit certain types of advertising and those that redirect visitors to prohibited forms of advertising. Placement of your ad or commercial on our site or in our products constitutes agreement to our Ad Content Terms of Service.
YOU MAY NOT:
• Advocate discrimination, hatred, racism, sexism, violence or disobedience of the law;
• Promote or encourage adult sexual activities or sexual aid products [approved health and human services organizations, agencies and businesses targeting healthier social practices are allowed but ads must be authorized by our editors];
• Insert texts or links into your ad that redirect or mislead viewers to sites with content prohibited under our rules.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can I visit Camp Umoja and the ClimateChangeVI.org studios to see my investment at work?
Of course! We welcome you with open arms to witness the work being performed with the help of your donation. As a donor, simply make an appointment with us and we will be glad to give you a complimentary personal tour of our facility and the neighboring Mandahl Bay Eco-system. You may also be able to sit in on some of our studio shoots for media-casts.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Why are CCVI ad donation rates a bit higher than other non-profit booklets?
Our expenses, working outdoors with youth and technology, can be a little steep. We must maintain the highest safety standards for water activities, field trips and equipment to ensure a comfortable and educational experience.
Outdoor documentation is also very hard on research devices and we are attempting to record and educationally share parts of the VI Eco-system never before seen by the general public or thoroughly studied.
Additionally, your donation is represented to the public for 365 days, not just for a single evening or event.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can I name a youth project or campsite facility?
Yes. As a top-tier Heron or Angelfish Eco-Sponsor you can get your name on various projects or campsite facilities such as cabins, learning centers, agricultural plots and more. An appointment will be made for you to meet personally with camp Directors about your branding on the camp site.
Umoja campers and visitors touring and exploring our site will see your brand’s placard displayed on location. See our Sponsor Rate Brochure for more details and ask your sales associate for an up-to-date listing of projects and/or facilities you can brand.
~ ♦ ~
♦ Can I donate anonymously and/or without advertising?
Yes. Contact us to arrange your private and confidential donation. We can keep you updated on how your funds are working by Email or you can follow the progress of all of our projects on-line.
~ ♦ ~
♦ When my advertising contract expires, how do I donate again?
Your Fundraising Associate will contact you before your donation contract expires to ensure continuity of your placement on our site. You may also contact us at any time regarding renewal of your donation.